10 Best Robotic Pool Cleaners 2021 - Effective & Adjustable
Last updated: 17 March, 2021
Without regular maintenance, the risk of bacteria and other algae growth increases exponentially. The risks are numerous: water that turns green, changing pH that irritates your skin and eyes, severe loss of water quality, etc.
In short, there are many reasons to maintain your pool, but it is not always easy to do it yourself given the time it takes. So find here our comparison of the best swimming pool robots, which will do the work for you with quality, as well as our guide which will give you all the information you need to buy a swimming pool robot.
The 10 Best Swimming Pool Robotic Cleaners of 2021
According to internet users' opinions and our product tests, the best robot pool cleaner in our selection is the Dolphin Maytronics E30 for its versatility and performance on all types of coatings.
1. Zodiac Mx8 - Cyclonic suction technology
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Item Weight : 1 pounds
- Manufacturer : Zodiac - Distribution
You have to admit that Zodiac quality comes at a price, but if you are looking for a powerful, fast and, above all, durable robot, then there is no doubt: this model will be yours!
It is also distinguished by its practicality, for example the length of the cable preventing it from being rolled up while the Lock System ensures you do not spill water everywhere when you pick up the robot once the cycle is over.
The only downside: the price for a hydraulic model, which we would see more suited to an electric model.
- Cleans swimming pools up to 12 x 6 m
- The reliability of the Zodiac brand
- Cyclonic suction technology
- Connection to a suction of the swimming pool
- Excellent pipe quality
- Requires a good pool pump
2. Zodiac Vortex AV35050 - Automatic cleaner for swimming pools
- Dimensions: 37 x 29 x 30 cm
- Cable length: 16.5 meters
A top-of-the-range Zodiac pool robot, just the way we like them! Certainly, we will note some finishing flaws, such as the fact that this robot was above all designed to travel in clear water.
But it is then very good performances which are deployed and which perfectly justify the displayed price.
It is just a shame that, given the many features, the user manual is so succinct and therefore requires some patience and learning, or even a call for online tutorials.
- Professional swimming pool robot
- 18m cable
- Choice of an option for tile coating
- Cyclonic suction for greater efficiency
- Remotely controllable
- The filter clogs easily if the water is already too charged
- The instructions are unclear, and give little information
3. Tiger Shark QC - Very fine filtration at 5 microns
- Dimensions: 15.5 x 16.5 x 11.5 inches
- Item Weight : 21.5 pounds
It must be said that if there is one area in which Tiger Shark plans to conquer us, it is in that of quality-price ratio. The model is indeed very complete, giving you the choice between a rapid cycle and a more in-depth cycle. If the duration of the latter seems a little exaggerated (4 hours), it at least has the merit of doing things right.
Regarding the 1h30 Quick Clean, it is particularly effective, although the water line is a little more set aside. Add to that the practicality of the 18m power cable and the included accessories - such as foam brushes - and you soon won't be able to do without them!
- Autonomous movement
- Good value for money
- Very fine filtration at 5 microns
- Foam brushes included
- 2 cleaning cycles: Quick Clean or normal cycle of 4 hours
- Reduced efficiency on swimming pools with a diamond point bottom
4. Dolphin Maytronics E30 - Its motorized active brush
- Dimensions: 16.38 x 16.77 x 8.97 inches
- Item Weight : 16.5 pounds
Although expensive, this electric swimming pool robot is conceived as a high performance machine. It asserts a good versatility, deploying a compatibility with all types of swimming pool coating, for the ground like the walls and the water line. Thanks to its capacity, it allows to cover swimming pools with a recommended length of 12m. And what efficiency in cleaning!
The PowerStream system optimizes the movements of the robot to guarantee perfect maintenance of your pool, giving no respite even from the most stubborn tasks thanks to the motorized brush. Note its concern to preserve filtration - by including two levels to collect both microparticles and important debris - as well as its practical facilities, with access to the filters from the top and a beautiful lightness and ergonomics in transport.
It is easy to understand why consumers are so positive towards it, valuing its ease of cleaning, its easy maintenance or its suction power which, it must be admitted, is really helped by the active brush. However, some users note the general lack of control: it comes with a single 1.5 hour program and does the job automatically, without remote control or programming.
Thus, at this price, some would have liked to benefit from more customization options, allowing for example to provide quick cleanings with a cycle of 30 minutes. In the eyes of other customers, however, the strength of this machine is its simplicity. Note that a few others, finally, notice that the electric cable sometimes tends to wind up on itself.
- Its motorized active brush
- Its suction power
- Its lightness and ease of use
- The dual level filtration system
- One automatic program, no manual control
- The cable sometimes rolls up
5. Dolphin Maytronics T55i - PowerStream and motorized brush!
- Dimensions: 23.5 x 19.5 x 14 inches
- Item Weight : 37.2 pounds
Let's continue on the flagship products of Maytronics with this other Dolphin pool robot which, in its T55i format, is more complete for a relatively similar price. Indeed, it offers greater freedom of customization by letting you select the cleaning cycle, from 1 hour to 2:30.
Convenient to define the appropriate program depending on the condition of your pool and the maintenance required!
Note that you also benefit from remote control, this being done using the MyDolphin application, also offering you more customization options.
We also find an interesting versatility of the model, it adapting to all types of coverings, from tiling to concrete, including liner or reinforced PVC.
In terms of performance, we also come out very satisfied: once again, movement is improved thanks to the PowerStream for optimal surface coverage while the active brush does a very good job.
Small bonus: at this price, the model comes with a caddy that you can use both to transport and store equipment.
The popularity of this model with consumers is therefore undoubtedly, the latter enhancing, in the same vein as above, the performance and overall efficiency of the robotic pool cleaner.
Although few Francophones express themselves, foreign consumers tell us more. While they value the machine's many strengths, they also regret not having a remote control, offering an alternative to mobile phone control, which is sometimes complex and not very intuitive.
- PowerStream and motorized brush!
- Possibility to choose the duration of the cleaning cycle
- Programming and control options from the dedicated application
- Includes a caddy for transport and storage
- Control via the application takes time to get started
6. Zodiac Vortex OV 3480 - Double motorized brush and vacuum cleaner
- Dimensions: 23.62 x 15.75 x 15.75 inches
- Weight : 33 pounds
Alongside Maytronics, another genius manufacturer asserts itself: Zodiac, whose products are at the same level of the range, and are equally renowned for their efficiency and reliability. Here, you have the choice between a multi-coating version (excluding tiling) or a “special tiling” version, depending on the coating of your own swimming pool.
In terms of control and customization, this model is a bit of a synthesis of the two previous products, offering 2 cycles to choose from. The first, lasting 1h30, focuses only on the floor while the second, 2h30, performs a complete cleaning (water line and walls included).
On the filtration side, however, Zodiac is less generous, since only a standard 5L filter is provided; you will have to obtain optional, if you wish, the filter for the microparticles and that for the coarse waste.
Nevertheless, if there is one point on which the robotic pool vacuum cleaner impresses us, it is its performance: not only does the motorized double brush remove even the most encrusted dirt while the cyclonic suction collects them all, leaving your healthy and clean water. Note that, as does the previous model, it is delivered with a cart facilitating both transport and storage.
Customers therefore seem generally satisfied, valuing its ease of cleaning, its performance, its maintenance and the power of its suction.
However, they are more divided as to the quality-price ratio: if some praise an efficiency worthy of the top-of-the-range, others regret, at this price, the lack of programming or the somewhat difficult handling due to 'a pronounced weight.
- Double motorized brush and vacuum cleaner
- 2 cycles to choose from: bottom only or bottom / walls / water line
- Standard filtration
- Includes a cart to transport and store it
- No programming possibilities
- Relatively heavy (total weight: 15kg)
7. Dolphin Swash CL - Cleans the bottom as well as the walls
- Dimensions: 60 x 40 x 40 cm
- Weight : 20 Kilograms
Definitely a model of choice! While its price may seem quite high, its very good efficiency over a large area will certainly convince you.
Note that if its single cleaning cycle of 2h30 will not be suitable for rapid use, this nevertheless gives it time to perform in-depth maintenance, for the bottom as well as for the walls. Unfortunately, as is customary with this type of device, the angles are a little more neglected.
- Cleans the bottom as well as the walls
- Large 18m cable
- Excellent value
- Not very effective on angles
8. Maytronics Dolphin Nauty TC - Double motorized brush
- Dimensions: 1 x 1 x 1 inches
- Weight: 1 pounds
At a relatively more affordable price than previous models, Maytronics still makes sure to maintain performance in all circumstances. For this reason, there is therefore a double motorized brush, an interesting choice compared to the single brush on the slightly more expensive models, these two active brushes offering more flexibility. Note that the Dolphin range has learned the lesson of its somewhat "messy" application, so it is accompanied here by a remote control.
Choice of: 2 cycles, a first of 1 hour for the bottom only, a second of 3 hours for the total. Obviously, at this price, we can not expect more advanced programming features, but the proposal is sufficiently relevant and effective. We appreciate the generosity of Maytronics which, unlike Zodiac, equips its device with two filtration levels, as seen before, to deal with both large waste and the finest particles.
Note, finally, that it also comes with a cart for transport and storage. With a solid value for money, the robotic pool cleaner has established itself as one of the most popular with consumers, emphasizing its ease of use and maintenance, its performance and even its power of its aspiration.
However, they are less unanimous with regard to the remote control: if it is an interesting idea for some, it is useless for others and not easy to use. Come on Maytronics, for remote control, we're still trying!
- Double motorized brush
- Good suction power
- 2 cycles
- Comes with a trolley
- Remote control is of little use and not a real success
9. Intex 28001 - Autonomous function
An inexpensive and satisfying pool cleaner for tubular and above ground pool owners. Remember that it does not climb on the walls and that you need a minimum flow of 6m3 / h for it to work.
Obviously, we cannot expect miracles from it, but the model is balanced, both in terms of performance and practicality, and of course, pricing!
At less than 70 € for a pool robot, the Intex brand keeps its promises as a benchmark on the market.
- Autonomous function
- Ideal for tubular pools
- Unbeatable quality / price ratio level
- Compartment for collecting rubbish
- Do not climb on the walls
- For above ground pool
10. Bestway Thetys - A single cycle of 60mn
- Dimensions: 19.2 x 13.2 x 13.5 inches
- Weight: 14.32 pounds
In the same vein as Intel previously - but a little more expensive - we find Bestway which clearly asserts itself in the field of value for money with this wireless robot. Because yes, it comes with a single cycle of 60mn, which is exactly the battery life.
Then you just have to recharge it for 3 to 4 hours - handy to avoid the problems of winding and moving the cable! Thanks to its movement speed of almost 1km / h, it manages to cover relatively large swimming pools, with a maximum recommended surface area of 50m².
Obviously, its value for money is considered one of the best in the eyes of consumers, of which more than 85% award a score equal to or greater than 4/5. Among the strengths: ease of use and maintenance, and suction power. However, some people notice a few shortcomings: for example, when you remove the robot from the pool horizontally, the water spills out.
Likewise, others would have appreciated a cycle one hair longer allowing a more in-depth cleaning, even if they recognize that at this price, the proposal turns out to be quite relevant and solid.
- A single cycle of 60mn
- Affordable price
- Wireless stand-alone operation
- Good performance
- The cycle is a bit short for deep cleaning
The type of robot: manual, hydraulic, booster, or automatic?
Before we look at the criteria themselves, it is important to quickly present the different types of pool robots that exist. We will therefore find:
- The manual swimming pool robot. Also known as swimming pool vacuum brushes, these are the cheapest models on the market. Connected to the filtration system via a pipe, they clean the entire pool within 45mn-1h30, depending on the performance of the product and the size of the pool.
- The hydraulic pool robot. This is the middle ground, although they are not suitable for all pools. The automatic suction system, it allows you to avoid too much manual effort. On the other hand, it comes with less efficiency in the corners.
- The pressure pool robot. If you already have a booster, then this robot will be your best ally. With the help of a waste container, he is thus able to take care of any type of swimming pool quickly.
- The automatic swimming pool robot. Operating on electric or solar energy, these robots are entirely autonomous, and you will not, therefore, have to make them intervene to make them work. Programmable and fast, they are on the other hand part of the higher ranges.
For a hydraulic vacuum robot, check ...
- The flow: it is important that the minimum is high enough to allow your robot to move quickly enough.
- Leaves: larger waste, such as leaves, are sucked up directly and can clog the filtration system. Having a device that includes a leaf trap - and other important waste - can overcome this problem.
For a pressure robot, check ...
- The presence of the booster: it is preferable to already have a booster to avoid additional costs.
- The presence of brushes: depending on the range, the robots will come with brushes or not. These can be very useful for cleaning the encrusted waste at the bottom of the pool, and thus avoid having to do it yourself.
For an electric robot, check ...
- Your pond: the dimensions must be adapted to the performance that your robot can withstand, and the cable must be long enough to reach the power source, no matter where it is in the pond. You can also opt for battery-powered pool robots to compensate for this problem.
- The filtration system: the robot will come with different systems, like cartridges or cassettes, which will determine the thickness of the filtration. The finer it is, the more effective it will be; but also bear in mind that too fine a filtration will require you to empty the filter more often.
- The cleaning of the walls: this is more of a bonus point because you can take care of it manually. However, some robots are designed to easily reach the walls - which allows you to gain comfort!
What are the best brands of robotic pool cleaners?
If there are several manufacturers in this niche, some manufacturers stand out thanks to their highly qualitative products - also requiring a certain investment. Check out the top brands in question below.
Let's start with the American firm Hayward, which was founded in 1925 and was then originally a metal foundry. Its founder, Oscar Davis, then bought it in 1964 and put on an innovative idea: to incorporate plastic components into swimming pool equipment. It was then the beginning of a long history, which continues to this day. With its expertise and know-how, Hayward develops a range of products for the family pools, such as filters, the pumps to heat, the lights, and - of course - the pool robots Hayward!
Today, the company is also available in several brands, such as Kripsol (spare parts for swimming pool equipment), Sugar. Valley (maintenance of the ecological swimming pool) and Hayward Commercial Aquatics, intended for professionals and communities.
Another American manufacturer, Maytronics offers several products for swimming pools, such as alarms or covers. However, if the brand is also recognized, it is above all for its Dolphin pool robot, available in many ranges.
Sometimes basic and accessible, sometimes sophisticated and expensive, the models are likely to meet many needs. In the same vein as Zodiac (see below), Maytronics relies heavily on research and development, pushing the home automation experience to the max. This, of course, without ever neglecting the cleaning performance!
This is a name that speaks to everyone! Founded in Europe in 1998, the company was then bought by the leading multinational company Fluidra, taking advantage of more than 120 years of existence. Zodiac offers, in the same vein as Hayward, a particularly complete range of products for the swimming pool. The solutions for heating, filtration, or even water treatment are therefore there.
Of course, the Zodiac swimming pool robots are in a way the effigy of the brand, as the models are intended to be both robust and qualitative. The manufacturer also pays particular attention to the R&D (Research & Development) process, which has enabled it to file, to date, more than 700 valid patents. Innovation is particularly evident in performance and home automation, which is very successful.
Unlike previous manufacturers, Polaris does not act as an independent brand but actually belongs to Zodiac (and therefore Florida).
With this subsidiary, the manufacturer wants to be resolutely more restricted in the product ranges: we, therefore, find exclusively pressure pool robots, carrying their booster pumps. The most emblematic model of the manufacturer is certainly the Polaris 280 swimming pool robot, both solid and efficient.
Choosing a reliable and durable swimming pool robot: our advice
Depending on the type of robot you choose, you will not have access to the same hardware, the same performance, and inevitably at the same prices. But given that a swimming pool already represents a certain investment, do not kid yourself: the price of the robots will not be given. So it is important that you look for a quality model to avoid failures after just a few uses.
First, use the Internet as a mine of information. You can indeed access, with a few clicks, a myriad of content, tests, reviews, customer and consumer reviews on the references that interest you. The proliferation of these sources of information offers you enough to easily give you a very complete opinion on the different models.
This is quite a time-consuming process, however, and not everyone will have the luxury of time. So, if you still want to get quality equipment, consider heading to major brands and other manufacturers, like those we have exposed in our comparison. These will bring you know-how and professionalism, and while these qualities certainly pay off, it also means that your product will be much weaker.
Buying equipment and a robotic pool cleaner on the Internet, really? here's why
You might be tempted to go directly to a specialist brand to take advantage of all the models available at a glance. Indeed, the purchase of sizable material on the Internet is not always seen as relevant by customers and Internet users. Wrong?
Indeed, the Internet offers you great advantages during your purchase. The question of the price will not be dwelled for long, as it is now known that prices are generally cheaper online than in physical stores, for reasons of reduced costs. The real benefits can be seen at other levels.
First of all, think of the internet as a big market: the inventory you can access is potentially unlimited, giving you a lot more freedom of choice than through physical stores. Also, as we have seen previously, the Internet is a real mine of information, whereas you can only count on the advice of a salesperson, biased by the sales objective when you go to a physical store.
Finally, just think of all the practical facilities offered by buying on the Internet: without ever leaving your home, you order the product that interests you in a few clicks. Convenient and easy!
How to maintain your pool robot?
Can we swim when using a pool robot?
Where can I buy my pool robot?
Which pool robot for a large pool?
THE TEAM THAT WORKED ON THIS REVIEW
Best Ethernet Cables for Gaming PC 2021 - Fast Internet & High Performance
10 Best Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener 2021 - Electric & Manual Sharpeners For Money
10 Best Robotic Pool Cleaners 2021 - Effective & Adjustable
Best Cordless Circular Saws 2021 - Top 7 Tools Currently on the Market
10 Best Projectors With WiFi + Bluetooth Connectivity 2021 - Go Big and Bold with Your Display This Year
Best Tower Speakers For Floor 2021 - Money Value & High Performance With Reviews & Buying Guide
- Comparison Table
- Cyclonic suction technology Zodiac Mx8
- Automatic cleaner for swimming pools Zodiac Vortex AV35050
- Very fine filtration at 5 microns Tiger Shark QC
- Its motorized active brush Dolphin Maytronics E30
- PowerStream and motorized brush! Dolphin Maytronics T55i
- Double motorized brush and vacuum cleaner Zodiac Vortex OV 3480
- Cleans the bottom as well as the walls Dolphin Swash CL
- Double motorized brush Maytronics Dolphin Nauty TC
- Autonomous function Intex 28001
- A single cycle of 60mn Bestway Thetys
- Buying Guide